Thursday, December 12, 2013

Jane Austen--Inspiring Women to be Real Women


“When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Everyone can agree that Jane Austen has made a name for herself. Every girl knows who Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet are. Every girl dreams of finding her true love and living happily ever after. And yet, at the same time we thirst to be important and independent. Why has Jane Austen made a lasting name for herself? Because she relates very strongly to her specific audience. Women.

I don’t like Jane Austen. At least, I don’t get so into her books that I can’t wait to read them again. I don’t enjoy reading her, at all. I think her characters are silly, frivolous, and overly dramatic. There is a part of me that actually hates her for that very reason. That, however, doesn’t exclude me from being part of her audience.

Really, the things I hate about Jane Austen’s works are just little things. It’s rather silly and overly dramatic to be so openly disgusted over such frivolous things. I hate Jane Austen’s Books not only because I don’t like the way she writes and it’s hard for me to focus. I hate her because I see myself in her works. I relate.

I know, I know. You’re asking, isn’t that a good thing? Yeah, it is a really good thing. The thing is though, I relate in ways that I don’t want to relate. I don’t like the side I see of myself when I read Jane Austen. I see myself as immature, silly, frivolous, and overly dramatic. Gah! I want to be spending my time on things that matter. Things that are going to make a difference in the world. That thing is not my hair! Or if I have a crush on a guy or not.

The fact of the matter is, why these things are vitally important to our nature as women, we tend to over do them. Jane Austen shows me that I’m silly and immature. I need to work on some things. Yeah, don’t completely forget about your hair, and like lots of guys (as long as you aren’t married, you are only allowed to like him.) But just make sure it doesn’t take over the things are most important.

We as women, add flavor to life. The world would be so boring if it was just a bunch of men. Not only that but how would anything get done! We are very special. We are daughters of Heavenly Father who loves us dearly. No, we might not all hold positions of power in governments. Yes, we probably spend too much time worrying about little things that don’t matter in the long run.

But think of all the great things you do every day of your life. You stun the world with your smile. You give hope to someone who is doubting themselves. You make food for your family. You clean the bathroom, the kitchen, the bedroom, and every other nook and crany.

You get up in the middle of the night with the kids. Change diapers, clean up puke. You fall asleep worrying about that friend. You spend hours doing things that no one will ever see. You try not to scream when a little kid scratches your favorite CD. You hold your head up high and refuse to let the world see your tears.

You push yourself to become better. So someday, or in the morning, your kids will have a better mother and your husband will have a better wife. You strive every day to learn and grow, even while doing seemingly pointless things. You take that extra fifteen minutes for your friend.

Now, you tell me, does every man do all that every, stinkin, day? Not all of it, that’s for darn sure. That doesn’t make them any less wonderful, they just have different gifts. You are a women! That means so much, to everyone, to the world.

Jane Austen inspires me, (no matter how much I dislike her for it.) She makes me want to be my best. She makes me want to not only find a good looking, kind man. But, to get up and change myself, and by changing myself, changing the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment