Saturday, November 29, 2014

Bean

I’ve always found myself to be an adventurous sort of fellow. The kind of boy who takes foolish risks and comes out the victor. I’ve always dreamed of doing great things. Fighting pirates, or dancing a war dance with indians and rescuing damsels in distress. I was born into this world dreaming that I could fight off monsters like Hercules. But each time I’ve ever even received the smallest opportunity to prove my heroism and quench my thirst for adventure, something goes wrong. Usually in the form of my mother or sister trying to protect a small boy like me. Women, the only thing they’re good for is getting in the way before you rescue them.
But today is different. Today my sister was sick, so I have to walk to school all by myself. Meaning, no female supervision. Oh, the drudgery. Today something is going to happen. Something wonderful! I can feel it burning into my little soul. My best friend, Jack, is supposed to meet me on the road by his house, but as I look for him there is nothing to be found. Including his house. Yes, his house, is gone. Just as absent as he is. And in the place of the little house is a giant beanstalk. Like huge! I crane my neck up toward the sky, trying to see the end of it; but there is none. I smile. See, I told you something cool was gonna happen today.
I hop over the little wooden fence and dart across the yard toward the stalk. I jump up, clutching a thick vine and pull myself up onto a large leaf. And I climb. Higher and higher and yet higher, until the ground falls far beneath me. I climb through the clouds where there are giant castles and mysterious things I’ve never before dreamed of. I’m just guessing that Jack got off here by the noise I hear echoing through the clouds coming from the giant castle.
“Fi, fi, fo, fum. I smell the blood of an englishman.”
I continue to climb. The air grows thin around me, but I’ve never felt so alive. I start to think that I’ll never stop climbing and that it could get rather boring. Does this beanstalk ever have an end? What if it does? What is at the end? I feel my arms shaking as I climb towards the second star to the right. Everything around me changes. I cling tightly to the beanstalk as space materializes into a beautiful land, with hills, a forest and a great lagoon.
Indian savages camp on the hills. Their fires glowing red. The forest seems full of mystery and danger and in the very middle of the deep blue lagoon is a pirate ship. The pirates dance up and down the decks, drinking and singing, Yo ho ho, a pirates life for me. This is it. This is my stop. I laugh to myself as I leap from the beanstalk and land on the ground with a thump. Now, the question is, what do I do? Where do I go first? There is so much to see, to do! Where do I begin? I make my decision quickly and turn my feet in the direction of the indian encampment.
Before I can as so much take two steps a shrill cry rises in the air and from the forest comes the thing I least expect. Boys. A small group of boys just like me. I stand there and stare at them as they rush towards me. Before I can breath I’m tackles to the ground, tied up so no one can see my arms or legs if they wanted to. Not to mention that I’m also being sat on by several small butts. This isn’t at all how I had planned my day.
They all go quiet and stand as the crow of a rooster penetrates the air. I roll my eyes and try to see the green clad figure who paces back and forth in front of the boys. Maybe he’s a pirate, but his voice is much too childish. I peer around a fat leg and see his face. He’s only another boy. I’m greatly disappointed.
“Good work boys! You’ve saved us yet again from a foolish savage.”
“I’m not a savage! I’m a boy!” The line of boys part and the green rooster steps toward me. A short sword in his hand. He stands above me on foot on my stomach and he points the sword right at my nose.
“Be quiet savage! You have nothing to say, so be quiet and still as a fish.”
“But I’m not a fish either!”
“Hold your tongue, mate! Or I’ll have to cut it off.”
I swallow slowly, staring past the point of his blade that seems to be inching closer and closer to my nose, and into his deep blue eyes.
“Well boys,” he says, keeping his blade level with my face. “What should we do with him now?”
“Eat him!” Shouts one boy.
“Use him for target practice and watch him bleed!” Yells out another.
“Let’s stuff him and hang him on the wall!” Cries a rather large boy.
“What do you think, Peter?” Says the boy nearest to me. Peter. That must be the green rooster fellow. I look up at him, only to meet his blade with my eyes and they begin to cross as I stare. I can literally feel Peter smiling at me.
“I think we’ve had a lot of useful ideas. Anyone of them would do the job. However, I have another suggestion. Perhaps we let him join us. After he takes the oath, of course.”
All of the boys jump up and down excitedly. “Oh yes, Peter! Yes! What a grand idea!” Peter laughs as soft, childlike laugh.
“Why thank you, my boys. Thank you.” He kneels down beside me and cuts my bonds., sheathing his short sword he extends his hand and helps me to my feet.
“Will you take the oath and join us as a brother among the Lost Boys?” I look around slowly and nod. “Good. What’s your name?”
“Uhh, David.”
“David! That’ll never do. Oh well, we’ll worry about that in a minute. David, pleas hold out your left hand.” I do so and Peter does the same as do the rest of the Lost Boys. “Repeat after me: I David, do promise to pursue danger, fight pirates and dance the war dance with the reds forever. And to protect my brothers, follow Peter Pan and always remain a Lost Boy.” I finish and Peter smiles. “Now, spit into your hand.” I raise an eyebrow. Just do it!”
I do it.
“Now, slap my face.”
I reel back a bit. “What?”
“You heard me boy! Slap my face already!”
I do it and simultaneously my own face is slapped by several wet and sticky hands. There is a few seconds of silence as I wipe the slime from my face and I look at Peter, then we laugh. As only boys can.
“Welcome to Neverland.” Says Peter. “I hope you’ll enjoy your stay.”
“I think I will.”
“Now, as for a proper name. David isn’t going to cut it. I…”
“Peter! Peter! Look! What is that?”
We turn to see the boys looking at the trembling beanstalk. Poking it with sticks and jumping at it, trying to catch pieces of it in their teeth. Trembling? Why is it trembling? Peter walks calmly around it once, then twice. Taking in every simple thing.
“Well Peter, what is it?”
Peter looks at me. “This is how you got here, isn’t it?” I nod.
“Then tell us what it is.”
I stuff my hands into my pockets and shrug. “It’s just a magic beanstalk. That’s all.”
“Jeepers!” Cries a boy.
“That’s amazing!” Says another.
“What do we do with it, Peter?”
“Leave it where it is, I suppose. Not much more we can do with it. It’s not dangerous or threatening. I sorta like it there.”
Just then there’s a loud snap from someplace far away. The stalk shakes violently and falls. The boys jump out of the way, screaming. I see something fall. Something small as the giant beanstalk vanishes into nothingness. I stoop down and pick it up. It’s a bean. A simple bean. Though, there’s more to it than meets the eye.
“What’s that?” Asks Peter. I show him, he takes it from the palm of my hand and studies it carefully before putting it back. He smiles.
“It’s a bean. A magic bean. Keep it with you as a reminder of how you came to Neverland and how you got your name, Bean.” I put it in my pocket and smile.
“Three cheers for Bean! The great beanstalk climber!” Someone shouts and the cheering begins. Peter grips my shoulder firmly. His little pearly white teeth showing in a broad smile.
And that, my friends, is how all my adventures started.

  • Missy Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment